Casanova Scotia (C'S) Gentleman Essentials | Product Design | Loose Leaf Tea, Wool Neckties & Solid Cologne
The high-end sample pack above is a single-serving of loose-leaf tea. The outer packaging was designed using a coin-sized postal envelope, serif text and minimal flourished vector graphics. All C'S products are packaged in minimalist materials. The name 'Haberdash' evokes a lost time-period when there were specialized retailers that focused on selling essentials and small necessities.
Inside the single-serve pack a quarter-sized tin - engraved and collectable. There is a feeling of sustainability with C'S products. The thought behind the tea was that it was sort of medicinal - something one would pick up from an apothecary.
As an extension to Haberdash Tea, we designed a signature neck tie we thought would complement the lifestyle of an über masculine tea drinker. Harsh wool coats the outside of the tie. The apparel doesn't knot in the traditional sense — too bulky. The silk within was crafted to symbolize man's relationship to woman and his protective nature. In many eastern cultures, silk is perceived as a feminine textile and yet the silk tie is worn in modern business cultures by men. Adorned with a customized paisley print, our tie accents the rich earth tones of the wool which is speckled with nodes of a matching blue.
Our conceptual solid cologne was developed in-house. We studied the ratio of bees wax to essential oil mixing and cooked and bottled an exclusive batch. We were careful to consider the colors used in our formula to match the accents found in our neck-tie and the organic ingredients found in our tea. The result was a small cohesive collection of products geared to a modern gentleman.
- The name questions a correlation between a historical figure (Casanova) who in his time represented society, sexuality, mystery, civility, culture, influence, and fringe aristocracy. As a play-on-words and in deviation from the character, we combined Scotia (Nova Scotia is province in Canada) which is a scenic landscape characterized by a rich history of innovation, exploration, and settlement.
Mission / Vision
- In August 2009 C’S was refocused as a lifestyle brand reintroducing the “the modest way that men were” and “the way that they should be”.
- Casanova Scotia is reminiscent of a nautical history in a fashion that considers a romantic moral soundness lost by the illusionary advancements of modern civility. We propagates “the profound resort”- to embrace order in a world of chaos - through a brand of limited notions.
- C’S is all about creating an opportunity for consumers to explore a whole universe of stories, sounds and tastes. The mission statement is: “to nurture people who seek a better world”.
The company propagates a set of seven principles or behavioral traits defining its intended audience.
- The gamut of colors that represent the C’S palette range from deep earth tones to varying intensities and saturations of red; colors that resonate with aesthetically receptive and worldly consumers:
- Yellows play a passive and often subtle role in communicating euphoria, calmness, and solace. Primarily used as an accent color and legible contrast for most verbiage and typefaces used throughout the marketing material
- Browns and tans speak vintage appeal, authenticity, and nature. These hues will hold a primary role in regards to apparel, tangible and consumable products.